Friday, November 16, 2007

Small Town Mentality

I love living in a small town, and I am definitely planning to live in the area later in life, but there are some aspects of living here that I sometimes feel held back by. Even though this is absolutely the one of the best places to raise a family and go to school, etc., I think that sometimes it is hard to imagine myself doing anything unique from here. I do believe that you can go anywhere from a rural state because there are numerous examples of people who have had amazing success at pretty much everything from here, but sometimes I feel like I have to adjust my goals according to what everyone will think of them. I don't want to say that there are a lot of judgmental people, but I don't feel like I could ever go out and say that I was going to go to Harvard, be a professional dancer, or be a famous actress, or whatever other farfetched goals I might have. Although some things are unlikely, it doesn't mean we have to rule them out or settle for something below our expectations or potential. I think this applies to all of us. We could do anything we want and I hate to think that we would give up just because not many aspire to such things or because we are pressured to stay in a rural state. Like I said, I love it here. It is beautiful and the people are friendly. We have good values and, of course, take part in lots of fun activities. I just hope that people realize what they are capable of. I worry that we aren't exposed to anything other than what we already know. Where we live should not affect our goals, and no one should be embarassed to tell people their aspirations. Just because they aren't likely does not mean that they are impossible.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Embarassed-that's all I have to say Ellen, haha inside joke! I agree with you though Ellen, it's true. If you live in South Dakota, it's hard to say you want to have these farfetched goals because we're only from the measly state of South Dakota and it's not likely it will happen. Having such goals though will help you to do your best, whether you make it to the top or not, you still got further than you would have if you would have accepted the lower offer instead of trying for the highest. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in South Dakota because we don't get much of the "big city" experience but I guess that's what makes it even more exciting when we do get to leave the state.

Anonymous said...

But just think about how appreciative you will be of those "big city" experiences when you finally have them. We here in gool 'ol Redfield SD have so much to discover just in the US. I will enjoy exploring this great country and will truly be glad that I live here, where everyone minds my business, my children are well educated and relatively safe and everyone knows everyone. I love it here.