Monday, November 12, 2007

My Opinion on The Crucible and Witch Hunts

Now that I have read through everyone's websites I am starting to formulate my own opinion about the three questions we have to answer. It is apparent that Miller wrote the Crucible to show that history has repeated itself and continues to do so. I think he proved a point with the book that showed people what mass hysteria and chaos can turn into and how irrational everyone became. I am impressed that he thought of the idea because before this I had never even considered anything but the Salem Witch Trials witch hunts before this, and now I see that almost every instance when a group or individual treats another group or individual differently. Even bullying in high school could and, in my opinion, should be considered a witch hunt. Prejudice is an obvious cause along with racism and other similar ideas felt by people. Judging someone could, surprisingly, be the start of a witch hunt. But back to Miller...it is a very clever comparison and makes the stupidity of such events evident. Maybe it played a part in revealing and remedying such events, and maybe it will continue to help the problems that still exist and will continue to exist...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you! Great observations. Miller was trying to point out something about McCarthyism.